Student Code of Conduct
Hanson High School is a place that promotes responsibility, respect, civility and academic excellence in a safe learning and teaching environment.
All students, parents, teachers and staff have the right to be safe, and feel safe in the school community. With this right comes the responsibility to be law-abiding citizens and to be accountable for actions which put the safety of others or oneself at risk. The school’s Code of Conduct specifies the range of consequences for student actions that do not comply with the set standards of behaviour. The standards of behaviour apply not only to students, but also to all school members: parents, volunteers, teachers and other staff members whether they are on school property, on school buses or at school-authorized events or activities.
- All members of the school community are treated with respect and dignity, especially persons in positions of authority.
- Responsible citizenship involves appropriate participation in the civic life of the school community. Active and engaged citizens are aware of their rights, but more importantly, they accept responsibility for protecting their rights and the rights of others.
- Members of the school community are expected to use non-violent means to resolve conflict. Physically aggressive behaviour is not a responsible way to interact with others.
- The possession, use or threatened use of any object to injure another person endangers the safety of oneself and others.
- Alcohol and illegal drugs are addictive and present a health hazard. The school will work cooperatively with police, drug and alcohol agencies to promote prevention strategies and, where necessary, respond to school members who are in possession of, or under the influence of, alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Insults, disrespect, and other hurtful acts disrupt learning and teaching in a school community. Members of the school community have a responsibility to maintain an environment where conflict and difference can be addressed in a manner characterized by respect and civility.